4 tablespoons unsalted butter 2/3 cups whole milk 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest 3 cups all-purpose flour 1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoon) active dry yeast 1/2 cup brown sugar 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt 1 large egg [adinserter block="1"]
3/4 cup brown sugar 2 tablespoons Hennessey 2 tablespoons unsalted butter 1 teaspoon vanilla 1 cup powdered sugar 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted [adinserter block="1"]
- In a saucepan, melt the butter. Remove from heat and add milk to warm.
- Whisk together the flour, yeast, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a separate bowl. On low speed, add the flour mixture to combine. Beat in egg, then beat until dough comes together. Switch to a dough hook attachment and beat quickly until the dough forms a ball. If the dough is too sticky, add more flour 1 tablespoon at a time.
- On a floured surface, and with floured hands, knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 20 times; form into a ball. Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with a dish towel and let dough double in volume at room temperature, about 2 to 3 hours.
- In a medium skillet, melt 4 tablespoons butter. In a medium bowl, beat melted butter, dark brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, vanilla extract, and salt together.
- Punch dough in the center to deflate. Turn dough onto a floured work surface and roll into a 9×13-inch rectangle. Sprinkle chopped pecans evenly across the top.
- Tightly roll the dough into a jelly roll, starting at the long end. With the seam-side down, cut dough into 9 equal-sized pieces.
- Grease a 9-inch cast-iron skillet with softened butter. Place cinnamon rolls into the cast-iron skillet, cut side up, touching each other. Cover with plastic wrap and a dish towel and let double in volume, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake rolls until golden brown and expanded about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
- In the meantime, work on the sauce. In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, 1/4 cup cold water, and Hennessey, and cook to dissolve sugar, for about 5 minutes. Whisk in the remaining butter, vanilla, and powdered sugar until a sauce is formed.
- Pour glaze on top of cinnamon rolls, and sprinkle with pecans. Allow glaze to set before serving, about 20 minutes.